On Making Homemade Mozzarella, Kefir, Yogurt Cheeses and More
In the Alchemical Kitchen, Catalyst Magazine writer discusses her first experiences with cheesemaking at home. While initially, the idea of cheesemaking seemed daunting, Brenner now makes her own cheeses on a weekly basis. We’re talking ricotta, mozzarella, cream cheese, kefir as well as some non-dairy cheeses.
Brenner’s cheesemaking began with the 30 minute mozzarella kit from the New England Cheese Supply Company. In her article she provides a list of basic cheesemaking equipment as well as her recipes for ricotta, cream cheese, kefir cheese and more.
Following up on yesterday’s vegan cheese discussion, we’ll share with you her cashew cheese recipe, with more real cheese recipes and more after the link.
1¾ cup of raw cashews
2 tablespoons of tahini
5 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1. Place cashews in glass bowl, cover completely with water, and allow to soak overnight.
2. Drain cashews and rinse.
3. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until very smooth – about 8 minutes (less in a Vita-Mix).
4. Return mixture to glass bowl, cover loosely with a towel, and let sit 12-24 hours. The texture of your cashew cheese will be very smooth and creamy. Great for spreads and dips.
- Experiences Making Feta, Ricotta and Haloumi Cheeses At Home
- Homemade Cheese Recipe Jackpot
- More Homemade Mozzarella Making Success
- Mozzarella Cheesemaking Kits: Easy Homemade Cheesy
- Yogurt-Making: How To Make Fresh Yogurt At Home
Tags: cashew cheese, homemade mozzarella, homemade ricotta, how to make ricotta cheese, kefir cheese, Kefir Cheese Recipe, mozzarella making, new england cheesemaking supply, Ricotta Cheese Recipes, ricotta recipe